Accessing your Social Security information has never been easier with your personal online my Social Security account. We recommend creating your account for ease of accessing your information, to prevent possible fraudulent creation of an account in your name, and to assist in your retirement planning.
Creating your account is simple and allows you to do the following:
- Access your Social Security Statement
- The ability to update your personal information
- Review your historical earnings record
- Estimate your monthly retirement benefits based on retirement age
- Request a replacement Social Security or Medicare card
- Request a Benefit Verification Letter if you need proof that you aren’t receiving benefits
- Determine if you qualify for disability benefits and how much you would receive if you become disabled
- Determine if your family qualifies for survivor benefits and how much they would receive upon your passing
To set up your account go to https://secure.ssa.gov/RIL/SiView.action and click Create New Account. You must be at least 18 years old, have a valid email address and U.S. mailing address and your Social Security number. You can create an account for your own personal use, but you can’t create an account on behalf of someone else, even with written permission.
After clicking Create New Account you will be presented with an option to use your driver’s license or state-issued ID to verify your identity, this is the recommended and quicker verification method. You will then need to complete a short form with some personal information including your driver’s license number and information from a prior year W-2. You will then be presented with a choice to receive your activation code by email or postal mail. After receiving and entering the activation code you will need to create your login credentials and password reset questions. Lastly, after agreeing to the terms of service, you will be able to access your account.